The Brvtalist is proud to present a new mix by Serbian duo Ontal. One of the most exciting projects happening in the current wave of industrial, techno, and experimental music, the two have released brvtal, apocalyptic tracks on labels like Shadow Story, Overdraw and Noiztank. Ontal is also one half of the project, Impulse Controls (along with Blush Response), who released Devour on Instruments of Discipline. New Brvtalism No. 067 is a pitch black mix with eyes toward a bleak, challenging future. Our own Marie Bungau was also able to interview the duo and you can find the Q&A below.
Marie Bungau: First off, let's got back to the beginning and how you guys met. Why did you stop doing graffiti and take up music?
Ontal: We met in 2001, and at that time, we thought that our street art or graffiti pieces should look better than the majority, which contained statements calling on various forms of hatred.
Back then we shared similar musical tastes and we exchanged CDs or cassettes because we didn't have a proper record shop at the time. A few years later, more of our pieces were getting buffed and we didn't see any sense to spend money on paint and just do pieces that will be only good for a photo and that will last maybe a few days. In late 2003, we had the first and unfortunately, only record shop in our hometown. We became more focused on exploring music, buying and mixing records and on top of it all, learning how to make tracks.
MB: What kind of music did you listen to back then?
ON: Back then we listened and kept on discovering new artists in genres like industrial, grindcore, punk, IDM, experimental, hip-hop, breakbeat, drum'n'bass, electro and a bit of techno.
MB: Now let’s get back to the present time. Whether it’s other people’s music, art, movies, etc, what inspires your music?
ON: It comes from certain moments in life, but in general, a lot of things that we can see or hear around us can trigger an idea or even a backbone for an upcoming track.
MB: Is this mix a good indication of what you're listening to right now? Any other guilty pleasures?
ON: Yes. All of the records on this mix should be listened to individually. Also listening to La Moderniste - "Desistere Mortem Timere", Der Zyklus - "Renormalon" and the "20 years of Zhark" cassette. A lot of "guilty pleasure" tracks can easily end up getting sampled for our tracks, but through a good amount of different effects and playback options we end up with sounds that are completely different from the sample source. For example, this one.
MB: Earlier this year, you released Simulacron, a cassette on the Berlin based label AMOK Tapes. How did that collaboration happen and why tape?
ON: Simulacron was an interesting change from our other releases. Amok is only focused on tape & digital releases and in late 2015, Hayden (Phase Fatale) asked if we could contribute some tracks for an upcoming release. We did that and also included 2 bonus sequences only included in the cassette release of the EP.
MB: What's coming up next for Ontal?
ON: In terms of future shows, we'll do live sets together and DJ sets separately because one half of Ontal recently relocated to New York City and doing all US bookings for DJ sets. For Brvtalist readers in L.A., Ontal will DJ Darkmatter Soundsystem on October 8th. Release-wise, watch our Facebook page for more details because there will be a lot of our records released through the end of 2016.
Thank you to Ontal for their excellent contribution to New Brvtalism and taking the time to speak with us.
01. Der Zyklus - Optical Distortion (Weme Records)
02. raum.null - In The Belly Of The Beast (unreleased)
03. R E N D E R E D - S T O N E C O L D S O U L (unreleased)
04. Device Control - Damaged (L.I.E.S.)
05. Tinfoil - Foil 26 (Tinfoil)
06. Sarin - Familiar Scum (aufnahme + wiedergabe)
07. Le Syndicat - Second Chance (Daft Records)
08. Mrtvi - Ibukron (Jezgro)
09. ANFS - VPA (Inner Surface Music)
10. Ontal - PI02.1 (Orphx remix) (Pi Electronics)
11. iFormat - When The Walls Have Ears (Local Sound Network)
12. Unhuman - Brazen Bull (Ontal remix) (Monolith Records)
13. Sinus O - Soporific Power (VSK remix) (Rive Droite Records)
14. Computer Numerical Control - Mass (unreleased)
15. Endlec - Fearful Symmetry (Mord)
16. Dawid Dahl - Krig (New York Trax Imports)
17. Vapauteen - Made In Magnasanti (L.I.E.S.)
18. Dolgener - 06:30 (The Cast Project)
19. Future9192 - Murder Someone (Continuum Series 1991-1998)
20. Ontal - Boot Sector Infection (Erebus)
21. Gaja - Create (Ophism)
22. La Moderniste - La Beaute Nait Dans La Mort (Hands Productions)
23. ANFS - VPA (Honzo ADHD remix) (Inner Surface Music)
24. Monica Hits The Ground - Scenario Vanity (Zhark)